Friday, January 28, 2005


Dunkin Donuts. I think this shot repesents the difficult time that musicians can have promoting themselves and finding an audience (similar to photographers entering online photo contests. :)) These buskers have 3 to 5 minutes to capture an ear while competing with station announcements and trains, getting a few bucks is nice, selling a CD is great, but just playing for people is what most of them said really motivates them. And as one put it, being underground gets you out of the cold. Posted by Hello

4 comments:

  1. believe it or not I know that guy. He is in boston right? nice photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a Russian guy who did instrumental stuff. I think he did a Floyd Cover in his CD. Yeah...this is the Government Center stop in Boston.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea why I just posted my answer as anonymous...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i-gizmo entry: musician

    This was taken with an embarrassingly lame digital camera when I was just excited about capturing all the images I wanted for free.

    I had gone to Boston to check out the subway busker scene. A musician friend of mine later told me that what I did was cruel. He said that if he had been playing and some non-music-fan-looking guy came up and took a photo and bought a CD he would be obsessively pouring over any paper he could get his hands on to see if there was a write up or something. :)

    ReplyDelete

Jen White