Saturday, September 01, 2007

Post Family Farms

Harlow Post

Explaining the finer points of organic sustainable farming.

Jan Post

My Dad has been on this quest for Raw, Unpasteurized, Non Homogenized Buttermilk. The stuff poured off after you are done churning, not the fancy cultured stuff you can get in the store. He thinks he thinks he wants it because he had it as a kid and it was delicious, I think he wants it to be a pain in the ass and he likes setting up these little 'challenges.' But I'm always up for a good one. So I scoured Health Food Stores (completely unfamiliar to me) and the Internet (A little more so) and finally found Jan and Harlow's farm in St. Albans, Maine. I called and told them what I was looking for and they only had one question: "Salted or unsalted?" YES!!

Harlow and Jan distrubute their products at health food stores throughout Southern Maine OR for people who can make it to the farm, you just go into the unlocked barn, help yourself to the milk cooler, drop off your old bottles, and leave money in a box. I love when people do that. If Harlow is too busy to explain why this whole process is good for you, AND you are a person who eats food you can read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma

You're welcome, from The Thing of the Moment where we care about 2 things, your health and buttermilk.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Hazel thanks you from the bottom of her "ethical vegetarian" heart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the ironing board shot. Great for gentle viewers (like me!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first shot of the man, great beard as "Calvin" would say ...it has been a while since I have stopped by so I have plenty to catch up on... Your site always seems to make me laugh OUTLOUD ..while mostly making valid points yet in a humorous way.. GREAT photos too

    ReplyDelete

Jen White