Sunday, February 10, 2008

Bangor Democratic Caucus - Scam Warning - Update! Truce!

My local ex-wife entering my local caucus site. I brought her along because she's the only other Democrat I know in my neighborhood. And now that we aren't married, we can agree politically again.

Foreshadowing the Clinton campaign.

Apparently, one of my neighbors. Who knew?

Senator John Kerry patiently waiting for someone to Google the answer to the question: "Can anyone name the last Democratic Presidential Candidate?"

This was my first caucus and I REALLY think I prefer a Primary system although this was SORT of fun. Obama won in my neighborhood 2 to 1. Of course now that I've seen the heated political nuts activists in action that live here I'm going to start locking my doors at night.

Additionally, thanks to laanba, I can now say "Why yes, I HAVE been published in the New York Times, thank you for asking."

And there are some additional photos of local Democratic leaning hotties here.

My final take on my first caucus? It's a joke.

The caucus is a used as a barrier to participation by most voters so that the elected officials and other party wonks get to decide what happens at the convention. It's truly a disgusting display by each party. Not one of Maine Republican delegates are pledged making the Republican primary a joke and the Democratic party has 10 Superdelegates who can do whatever they like (Maine only has 24 delegates total) making THAT a joke.

I'm less likely to participate next time because now I KNOW you only get played at a caucus. You people who live in Primary States are a bit luckier.

Update: Ok, I'm STILL proPrimary and I was surprised to find how many Superdelegates themselves at in favor of a primary system. But now I understand a little better the role of the Super delegate.

In a NUTSHELL, let's say for example you have a season with VERY low turnout (unlike this year) and the primary voters and caucus goers are the most EXTREME elements of a party (Either party) the fringe will elect a candidtate with NO chance of winning the general election. So the Democratic Party Super Delegate System was sort of designed as a safety switch rather than a ruthless power grab.

An example of extremists ruining the chances for a parties victory can best be reflected in our last Gubenetorial election where the Republicans nominated a right winger named Chandler Woodcock who could only get 30% of the vote (most likely his original consistency) rather than the moderate and reasonable Peter Mills assuring Governor Baldacci's victory with 38% of the vote.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Dang...the best I can say is I've been used by the BBC...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, that's really cool about the NYT!

    Make sure you take a screen shot and keep it in your archives FOREVER!

    Go Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I encouraged jenny_whyme and #1 daughter to go caucus, but they wussed out. Rose missed being able to vote in 2004 by 11 days, so this will be her first opportunity to vote in a presidential election. I had to work today, so I couldn't go. I think I'm currently unenrolled, so I'd have had to re-enroll in order to caucus. We caucused in 1992. If memory serves, Jerry Brown was getting more hype at the time than Bill Clinton, though, obviously, Clinton eventually emerged at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'local ex-wife' - Does that mean you have more ex-wives that aren't local? Do tell... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting wordage for sure: "My local ex-wife..."

    I have what I refer to as a "small-town ex-husband"

    This is not to imply that I have a "big-city ex-husband", "farm-boy ex-husband", & a "circus-freak ex-husband" plus others... But, I do have a small-town ex-husband who shows up at my small-town events & at my small-town restaurant. I suppose I need to give him a name and stop with the small-town stuff someday... soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >>I encouraged jenny_whyme and #1 daughter to go caucus, but they wussed out.

    Hey, everyone go look at murph's photoblog and see why we wussed out.. too cold... too much freakin' snow...

    And, I am still undecided... LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White