Sunday, March 30, 2008

Divorce Photography



As regular Gentle Viewers of The Thing of the Moment know, your lowly and humble photographic servant is no wedding photographer. However, I did add in a new FAQ section that I'd LOVE to be a divorce photographer.

I find myself much more interested in divorce than marriage. Marriage is so two dimensional, so shallow. Two people fall in love like no others before them and get married *yawn* But divorce is multi faceted. It comes from a greater variety of causes, results in excommunication from Churches, divides your friends and family, can rip you apart financially, you NEVER know how it's going to turn out and although your marriage wasn't forever, your divorce will be.

I said to my ex-wife once that I enjoyed having an ex-wife so much that, someday, I hope to have another. She replied "I'm sure you will." I'd have photographed my own divorce but only a gastroenterologist would have recognized any of the images and besides that I'm chicken.

I've recently been shown up by another far more courageous photographer than I'd ever be. This photographer is going through a certain above named unpleasantness is is documenting it here (http://www.sunset-pig.blogspot.com/) in words and images that leave me slack jawed with not much to say.

If you want to see raw, angry, sad, compelling, yet hopeful words and images, go check her out.

All images in this post © LKG

3 comments:

  1. Wow. I hope you're happy that I just spent two hours ignoring my work and looking through the entire Sunset Pig blog from finish to start. Very powerful stuff. I wish I had her spine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, divorce. In which I lost 185 lbs. of ugly fat and found my backbone.

    Wouldn't trade it for the world.

    I'll be back to Sunset Pig's blog again when it's not so late.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, interesting and powerful stuff. Reminds me of the 19th century death photos... good times.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White