Thursday, May 31, 2007

AN OPEN LETTER TO GOOGLE in Regards to Blogger, Picasa, BlogThis! and localhost.

Dear Google Tech Support Professional:

When I try to post an image to Blogger from Picasa using BlogThis! it says the photo is a 'localhost' image and doesn't show on the page.

I have searched the newsgroups for a solution to this issue...

I have deleted and reinstalled PicasaI have deleted every cookie, temporary Internet file, I cleaned my apartment, I mowed the lawn.

I have signed out of everything. Google, Gmail, Picasa Web Albums, Blogger, Yahoo, Verizon. I cancelled all my credit cards and got new numbers. I legally changed my name. I closed my bank accounts after withdrawing all my cash. then I signed all back in and changed everything back. After rebooting, mind you. Nothing.

I did not change my graphics card, any power cables, ISP, USB ports, external hard drives or the station on the radio on my desk.

Please, in the name of all that is Holy, I BEG of you, find it in your heart NOT to suggest I do any of these things again. If you have taken the time to read this letter, you must have a soul. I will make donations to a charity of your choice. I will name children after you.

ANYTHING!!!

But please please please tell me how to fix this without yanking my chain. If it is broken forever and a discontinued service that Google has changed it's mind about providing but just doesn't feel like making it public, let me know.

I won't tell anyone. I swear.

It'll be just you and me.

We'll know.

No one else.

Desperately,

jkirlin, your lowly and humble photographic servant.

Update: Oooo..there was a solution.

13 comments:

  1. Have you downloaded the latest Picasa build? http://picasa.google.com - it will safely install over your current one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had that problem with Picasa 2, Kirlmeister. And I'm fighting the urge to play around with it to see if I can recreate that issue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. serious answer: try to take off the option of having back links in your posts, I'm pretty sure that fixed my issue.

    If you have this off, then try to turn it on and off and see what happens. if this doesn't work - you're fucked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. michael: I think it's nice that Picasa people scan the blogs to see what others might be saying about it. But if you are asking if I installed the latest version 2.7 build 36.40? Yes, repeatedly and I left delightful feedback when asked why I was uninstalling Picasa to do it. Maybe I'll just have to wait around for version 2.7 build 36.40 and a half. The half being the part that makes it work correctly.

    Kathe: If I had lung cancer would you start smoking?

    SPK: That was a good one, no one had told me to do that before. Although I once got an email reply suggesting that if I bury the Heart of a Sacred Hawk on the second full moon of the month that IT might work, but also didn't. Also, do you always have to inject so much fucking cursing into this blog? Do you fucking talk like that on your blog? It's a fucking family blog for fuck sakes. I think now we are going to fucking have to go see Billy Graham's Talking Cow now or something. I'll pick you up. be outside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE!

    Real photographers mock me mercilessly for using Blogger and Picasa (and possibly some other reasons) and I defend them nearly to the death. This is what I get. Heh heh. If anyone is looking here for Blogging advice? (yeah, like so many do) Run! Flee into the night! Do not use these programs. Save yourselves. I am lost! *shaking my Jacob Marley Chains*

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I thought it'd help you out, my friend, I would. :^)

    Seriously, though, I haven't had those problems with posting to my blog from Picasa. The only issue I have with that feature is that I wish there was more control over the layout of the post -- like having the post options that are on the Blogger site.

    But, darn it, now I have to search through the program options to see if I can maybe help ya figure this out!

    Cover me...I'm a-goin' in! *rushing head-first into Picasa and Blogger*

    Ouch! Forgot my helmet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stupid picasa. March 2008. Same problem on new install.. I've tried everything to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Idem for me.
    The problem is not resolved yet...
    Well done Google

    ReplyDelete
  9. Newbie photographer here having the exact same problem.

    SERENITY NOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, so this is almost two years too late, but as a good netizen I figured that I should post this in case it can help someone else. I've figured out the cause of the problem—and better yet, how to resolve it! See my blog post at: http://blog.thejoshmeister.com/2009/05/google-picasa-how-to-fix-localhost.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here I am looking for an answer in 2010. And I've been a picasa user since it first came out, blogposting for years. And now it's driving me mad, dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 2011. All was well until 3 days ago, then this exact problem started out of the blue. Any further suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  13. And in 2011, the problem is apparently still around. I have been posting photos to a couple of blogs on a regular basis. Suddenly last week all images I post from picasa to blogger are saved as drafts and image paths point to http://localhost:52500/...

    ReplyDelete

Jen White