Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Gideon's Bible

"What is that?"
"Ummm...a Gideon's Bible." I said, hoping that would end it.
"Well, Ok, I mean, Where did you get it?' Pleeeease tell me you didn't take that from the hotel."
"Yeah."
"Which one?"
"The Flamingo."
"You'd had that in your bag since we left Vegas?" She continued unpacking and I thought I was in the clear. "They AREN'T prizes, you know!!"
"You mean they aren't like the soaps and shampoos?"
"NO, they aren't like the soaps and shampoos."

This post vacation debriefing submitted to Macroday: Religion Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. I have loved Gideon's Bibleever since I was a little hotel guest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some really great stories in there, but the ending is sad. (and predictable)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you've been SKOOLD.

    I always have to flip through them, because one time a million years ago I heard a story about how some down-on-his-luck guy found some money in a Gideon Bible in a hotel room just as he was about to throw in the towel because his life was so miserable... but he reached out for help from "above" via the Gideon Bible in the drawer of the hotel nightstand, and LO! and BEHOLD! there was just enough money in there for him to get a meal and get back on his feet.

    I've never yet found ANYTHING in a Gideon Bible. I blame it on the maids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh u shud c da towels from our trip to Spain!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you'd stayed in a Marriott, you woulda had a Book of Mormon. They don't mind if you take those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's OK to steal a Gideon's Bible!!
    If you do not own a Bible and you come across a Gideon’s Bible - Go ahead, Steal it! Ok, if it makes you feel better, "take" it. That’s why they are placed in hotel rooms, lobbies, offices etc. They were left so you could steal..I mean take them.

    Ask anyone from Gideon's International about this, or even quicker read my post back at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anybody seen a Gideon? What do they look like? Where are they from Gidea? ... one of my favorite Bill Hicks sketches

    ReplyDelete
  8. You'd think they'd put a sticker on the front to skip ahead to page 781 and that "Thou shalt not steal" stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Jen White