Saturday, November 05, 2005

Hello, Darkness, My Old Friend. Resposted for Pxite: Darkness

This is one of my earliest night photos and still a favorite. I regret that it's missing what it needs most, a young woman holding a suitcase up on the balcony and looking bored while her male friend fumbles with the lock.

This motel is one of the last kitchsy motels built in the 50s in this area and is slated to be torn down next year as part of a development plan featuring the State's only slot machine joint. I think this could actually be incorporated nicely but no one is asking me.

I also like that this place speaks of no particular geographic region. It's as easy picturing it outside of Las Vegas or on the New Jersey Shore as anywhere else. Aaahh..the timelessness of life on the road. Chalk up another fetish.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't this the Red Carpet Motel? I remember renting the corner balcony room (back in high school) and getting drunk there after a day of watching basketball games at the auditorium. It was a popular pary location during tournament season...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear, I've checked the link. I think you need some.... cold shower, right now. Young man, the army needs you.... LOL. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3LK: Coming right up!

    That's right folks, here at The Thing of the Moment, we Do take requests.

    nml: You are correct! It's the Main St Inn, now though. And I have 2 words for you about the old Red Carpet and the second word is "TING".

    mp: Heh heh heh. I hope you weren't at work.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White