Sunday, September 11, 2005

This is you.


jenn see left a comment on my series about leaving a mark that says "I was here" and that got me thinking about why I take photos.

Why do you take pictures? A multiple choice quiz.

*PLEASE no cheating.*

Fill in the blank. I take pictures __________________.

A) for eventual fame and riches.

B) in the hopes that in some vague unidentifiable way it will get me 'laid'.

C) to shove down the throats of snooty photographers everywhere that even a monkey like me can do it. (No offense monkey 0)

D) because I have a camera and don't know what else to do with it.

E) to desperately document the moments flying by in this uncertain life as we speed toward our graves.

F) because I can't remember anything and pictures remind me. (Oh yeah! There was a summer 2004! There the fool is!)

G) to have an excuse to nose around where I don't belong.

H) because taking 'art' photos gives me an excuse to have my camera always present for the 't and a' photos.

I) to make 'art' even though I can't draw a circle.

J) to fill my screen saver with something besides images of unicorns flying over waterfalls.

K) because no one else will take pictures of the things I want to see so I'll do it myself. (Bastards)

L) because I am a compliment driven sonuvabitch and I'm sure not going to get it for my looks.

M) so that when Hurricane Sonufabitch comes through my town, I alone will have all the images needed to rebuild.

N) they make cheaper gifts than I get so I WIN!

O) All of the above.

P) Other, please specify:

13 comments:

  1. I choose B (seriously) and P. P being that it gets me out of the house although it hasn't been doing a very good job of that lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I choose Other - when composing a photo or when a photo actually turns out (even accidentally - have lots of those) it makes my head feel good inside. I started out doing it for E. Guess that is probably still true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. E and a half: Because kids grow so fast.

    E and three fourths: Because people die. - Cryden

    ReplyDelete
  4. N. Thank God for Dollar Store frames.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Main Reasons i take picture....

    1) i take pictures for my BLOG. For every single events and things i see..i wanted to share it with my blog friends...

    others .....
    2) i take pictures because I can't remember anything and pictures remind me. (Oh yeah! There was a summer 2004! There the fool is!)

    3) because no one else will take pictures of the things I want to see so I'll do it myself. (Bastards)

    4) because I have a camera and don't know what else to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P. I like taking pictures of pretty things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. D and H would be my most likely answers but also

    P. I like attempting to capture an image that someone else may not see, especially in things that are MOST simple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hm, it sure ain't 'B', because my 3l33t gaming rig gets me more of that action than I can safely handle. Beating them off with a stick, let me tell you, and it's hard to play Half-Life 2 one-handed.

    (Oh, and C., no offense taken--we monkeys start a disadvantage. We're small, easily distracted, and tend to destroy things while trying to figure out what they are. So when we can do something, it's -impressive-.)

    I would have to say it's probably Q., because by God the next time I see that -thing- I will have my camera ready, so this time they'll -HAVE- to believe me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ummm, R, I don't have a camera. I sometimes think maybe I should have a camera. But I'm not sure which reason I could settle on for taking pictures.

    So, no camera.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P: So I can cry at lost memories, family and friends.

    I like melancholy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ummmm...z?

    No I take pictures for all of those reasons but mostly because I know I am going to do it for a living someday.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White