Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Confessions of a lowly and humble baseball servant

There is a magazine in town that publishes old photos based on a theme several times per year and when one reaches a certain age, they stand a good chance of appearing in its black and white pages.

This month the theme was baseball. Now that I have been outted by Paper Talks Magazine, I have to confess that yes...

your lowly and humble photographic servant was, indeed, a baseball champion.

That was a heady summer, back in 1975. The Red Sox were in 1st place in the REAL American League most of that summer leading me to write Fred Lynn in marker on my glove, because after all, who knew what his signature looked like? And how I manned left field (right?) (the one behind first) at the Taylor Fields in Bangor and used that glove to swat blackflies and wipe blood and sweat off my brow. I'd also use it to cover my face if the baseball gods frowned upon me and someone hit it out there. It was in that field that I learned to call a ball when fielding (YOURS! YOU GOT IT!).

If you notice that MY hat alone has a B. Yes! For the Boston Red Sox! As tribute to Carl Yastremski? No, because my MNB had a small string near the visor that I pulled, leaving me with a MNB beanie. I'm not sure of my stats, but I got hit in the ribs once while up to bat and got a base. I also hit the ball once because when kids yell 'Swing Batter' I always swing (In fact, I just cleared my desk thinking about it. I just did it AGAIN! GAH!) and once it was yelled while the pitcher was still warming up and I swung...

the bat went all the way around (maybe twice) and was out over home plate when it finally stopped and the pitcher hit it with his pitch.

Under the leadership of our coach, Rich Kimball (Now a school administrator in Brewer) I, as a member of the TEAM (in which there is no I, remember) POUNCED on the city (Ok, the East Side) with our smashing victory of Charles Dubay Plumbing and Heating. I'd tell you more about the game and the score but there was a little frog in the outfield with me and I spent most of the game watching IT.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Darn frogs.

    Remind me sometime to tell you how I broke my nose sliding...into first base. Yes, on my face.

    I was safe, dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you didn't let Theresa pick on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the guy to your right with the Budweiser shirt on. It says a lot about Maine. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I see you have had the same relationship with team sports that I've had.

    We artistes must band together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very funny. Isn't it sad how even your childhood sins return to haunt you.
    My worst ever catch was with my mouth. I'm still missing a tooth to prove it. Ah, the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your story! So Sandlotesque.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you look like now when you were a kids
    ahahhahahahah

    ReplyDelete

Jen White