Tuesday, March 14, 2006

What Do Our Hearts Treasure? - EB White

I've had this for years. It was handed to me absently by an unrequieted love once when I pretended I gave a damn that she had a horse. I still hate horses. In the years that followed I've hung on to this (but God knows, not her.) and its value to me has grown every year. Not so much for what it was or wasn't, but just the time it represents. I've lied and acted casual when asked about it. "Oh that? It's nothing." and later begged its forgiveness.

You have them, things given to you which over the years acquire an aura of magic through association, stupid things that are clutter at best to those who are unable to see the POWER of your secret Talisman, things which have grown so huge in symbolism and representation that the momentary fear of loss causes a tingling to your toes and then heart sinking reaction.

What are yours?

(Third in an extended series)

7 comments:

  1. Jkirlin - thanks for giving a voice to my odd behaviors. Two coffee cups that I shall never open for fear of scratching or breaking

    ReplyDelete
  2. lucky charm......errmmm.. i dont have...

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little image given to me by my late father... It's written, in calligraphy: Souris quand même... Smile even if everything is bad!. My father knew me so much and each time I read it, I feel... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooo! That gives me a good idea... thanks, JK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man! I'll have to think about this one. Nothing pops out at me right now but I'm sure I have something that fits the bill. Hmmm. Good question.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, the picture and the commentary makes me think. There was one thing that I held to this value, but haven't seen it for about 36 years. Hmm....time to look for it again.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White