Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Coulrophobia (Fear of Clowns)
Anah Temple Shrine Clowns
People at Work®: The Circus!




Well we might as well address it here....you know you want to.

Studies have shown that as many as 1 in 7 people are at least mildly averse to clowns.

What does one SAY to a clown? It can be unsettling.

In fact, it was my own mild clown aversion which led to this entire circus series. Several years ago I drove past this auditorium and a bunch of clowns were just sort of hanging out outside, checking watches, standing in little groups of 2 or 3 waiting and by the time I turned around to get a photo, they were gone. So when I dreamt this circus shoot idea up, what I most wanted was to try to recapture this image, much like the image at the bottom of an earlier post where the clowns are just sort of sitting around in a break room. Surreal.

But here is the reality of the situation as spelled out by Shamrock (All clowns have clown names): "As one of the Shrine clowns, I can tell you that we are all just normal people, of course until we put on our makeup. We all enjoy making children smile and raising money and awareness of our Shrine Hospitals. Looking forward to seeing your pictures and it was a pleasure meeting you at the circus. It was so nice to see all our fans at this years circus."

Fans, indeed!

These clowns were rock stars to the kids at this year's circus as can be seen in one of the above images.

For more of your BADLY NEEDED coulrophobia therapy check out more images of these cool clown here.

4 comments:

  1. Is that the Icky Shuffle that Flip-Flop is doing?

    What happened to the snout photo you posted the other night?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Murph: Why yes, I think it IS.

    In regards to the snout photo. It was posted out of order. Why were you looking for it, ya elepahnt hatah? DO YOU SEE EVERYTHING I POST?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I took a peek late one night and saw it. It wasn't there the next time I looked in on TTotM. I knew something was missing, but it took me a while to whittle through the brain fog and remember what it was.

    It didn't seem to be a shot that would spark much controversy (unless that was just the first in a series and the snout was the, um, star of the shoot), so I was just curious.

    I've hardly touched a PC over the last week, so I just got, er--um, lucky, I guess.

    Either that or the special little camera, that I attached to your glasses frames when we last got together, that alerts me whenever you post is working really well. Instead of a face recognition feature it has a TTotM recognition feature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and by the time I turned around to get a photo, they were gone."

    See??? Clowns are EVIL! They disappear! One minute they're there and the next? WHO KNOWS??? You never know where they're going to pop up again.

    Except the Shriner clowns, of course.

    But the rest of them? GAH!*



    *This comment brought to you by Tongue-in-Cheek, Inc.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White