Friday, November 25, 2005

"Screw the Holiday, It's the Prep I Live For" - Anonymous Christmas Tree Dealer


The Gimme.

Bear with me for a moment, Gentle Viewers. The Thing of the Moment was born on December 16, 2004. I have earlier archives, but I lied to you, they are false archives used for a lame attempt at making galleries. My first real honest to goodness, no cheating allowed photoblog posting was of the Reverend Louie, Christmas Tree Dealer and Finder of Lost Souls. He's a man of God and he loves the baby Jesus and he'll help you tie the tree to your roof of your car for free.

My brother tkirlin sold trees in Connecticut for a couple of seasons. He said they had a big sign reading Genuine Maine Christmas Trees and everytime they needed more they called a supplier in Nova Scotia.

Yes, before the Carnies there were the Christmas Tree Sellers who captured the curiosity of this Brownie wielding photoblogger. Who are they? Where do they come from? Where do they GO? What do they WANT?

I was too chicken to ask last year. I think I said I needed pictures of trees for some school project or for an aunt with a busted hip. God only knows what spewed forth from my mouth. But this year, it's to make those transient tree selling bastards FAMOUS!

Here at The Thing of the Moment.

6 comments:

  1. Also, as I hadn't been here for a couple days, I found the juxtaposition of of the "Setting Up" picture with the "Dead Again" picture startling.

    "That poor, poor Christmas tree man..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the poetic thing. Sometimes those Christmas tree guys are carnies. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. erik: Yeah, that wasn't really a smooth transition, was it?

    merlinprincesse: NO! The US Federal Tree Commission has determined that they can not certify Canadian Christmas Trees as safe so therefore we aren't allowed to reimport them. Busloads of senior citizens however, cross the Border frequently in order to get all their Christmas Tree needs filled much cheaper than they could in the US and none have exhibited any ill affects. The domestic Christmas Tree growers however still maintain that the Canadian Trees EXPORTED BY THE AMERICANS still may be unsafe upon reimportation.

    susan: It's the circle of life. Or something.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White