Sunday, September 17, 2006

Where Have Ye Gone, Mary Travers?

Upon meeting me, people quickly learn that I was simply born too late. About 25 years, I think. I'm just in the wrong generation, at the wrong end of the baby boom, and no matter how hard I try, I can't get back where I belong. God knows I have tried.

This is where Mary Travers comes in. For those of you in your correct generation Mary Travers is Mary of Peter, Paul and Mary fame. My parents had (as everyone surely did) several Peter, Paul, and Mary albums though no hippies, they. So Mary's trumpety voice was imprinted on my neurological system early and deeply.

As a result, upon hearing her voice today, I am instantly transported back to my days of protesting the Viet Nam War by throwing bags of red paint at the local recruiting office, Free Loving, Shouting down Lyndon Johnson, campaigning hard for Robert Kennedy, and cheering on the Apollo program. Then I stop myself and remember I was only a preschooler.

How DO you do that, Mary? Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. It wasn't all it was cracked up to be, the 60s I mean. Besides, if you remember the 60s, well, you weren't there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm...I think I'm of the wrong generation (born during the 60s)...BUT...I've been to a Peter, Paul, & Mary concert (and loved it) and have The Best of Peter, Paul, & Mary CD...one of my all-time favorites.

    And I wouldn't call myself a hippy...I'm more granola. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA to John's comment. I DO remember the '60s and I WAS there, but I guess I was mostly an observer more than a participant (too much a part of my fundamentalist background then!). So I laughed over this post because my daughter, Amy, is one of those kids who loves Peter, Paul & Mary because of her parents!

    ReplyDelete

Jen White