Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Canon 55-250 IS f4-5.6

Ok, here is my quick and dirty honest review.
This lens is a little slow to focus in dim light. The Image Stabilization works nicely and is only activated when pressing the shutter button. I've VERY satisfied with how it performs and let's me shoot in dimmer light or compose shots better. MY PARKINSON'S IS CURED!

At $299, you aren't going to get a cheaper IS telephoto zoom. Well, unless you bought the $175 18-55. But you know what I mean. I think I can shelf 2 other lenses in place of this now but this lens isn't going to set your world on fire like the Sigma 10-20 or the Lensbaby. You know how you set your alarms so you can be the first to see shots by those lenses on The Thing of the Moment (I SEE YOU WITH MY SITEMETER EYE), you'll sleep in for shots from this lens. They are nice and sharp but ...you know. Just decently sharp photos.

If you are GOING to buy it, buy it here and good karma be upon you.




My verdict? I like it. And when I upgrade to the XSi with the IS kit lens for an additional $899, I will have a camera system ALMOST as good as the Canon Powershot S2 I bought 3 years ago for the price of this one lens. :) *update* Upgraded to the XSi, the IS makes more sense on the 55-250 than it does the 18-55. I never notice it on the 18-55 OR hear it.

*update* I also reviewed this lens on Amazon.com which may or may not be more helpful. The link to that is here.

I got the Canon hood for it because...I'm a dork. I don't notice any difference shooting with it but I like knowing it's a LITTLE protected.

Which means it's the ONLY PROTECTED END.

CANON!?!?!? HELLO? Can you hear me? WTF is with the REAR LENS CAP? I can't keep that thing on without resorting to duct tape. It just barely sits there and FALLS OFF if it's not held when taking the lens out of the bag. The lens seems to fit securely ENOUGH on the camera but not as snug as other lenses and I once had a contact error, the flanges aren't damaged or anything and I've tried several rear lens caps, all of which fit other lenses.

In my Amazon review I sort of chuckle about people who complain because it doesn't have a metal back and I suggest that if they NEED metal, perhaps they are being a little rough with their cameras. But Canon...seriously...did you have your kids make the mold on Bring you Child to work day?

Amazon is also now honestly reporting the MSRP as 299.00 unlike the 400 it initially stated and is now selling it for 279.99. If I had not bought this lens on Amazon and found that sending it back was such a nuisance and bought it, like at Best Buy or something, I'd DEFINITELY take it back to try on other rear lens caps. But as it is, I'll just bitch about it here.

This lighter lens has completely replaced my much heavier Sigma 70-300 and I've not once wished I had the extra 50mm zoom at the end and I've been EXTREMELY glad to have the additional 15mm at the wide end.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. So, I'm curious, when you take a picture of a new, sexy lens with the wrong lens or maybe an old, jealous lens... does that open up a rift or a tear in the space-time continuum? Can lenses get into an infinite loop? Do they pout in a corner until they decide to age gracefully and eventually become old enough to be retro?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... is this a form of cannibalism? Old lens taking photo of new lens? Or, am I more sleep deprived than I thought... hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Murph and Ali: Fear not. These are but the worker ants lenses in the hive of the Queen working towards the common good.

    It's not cannibalistic. MAYBE a little incestuous. Sibling lenses getting it on.

    Well...cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it was only a matter of time before we got a solo shot of the beloved, long awaited lens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And here I was considering the 55-250. Now, with all this canabalistic, incestuous behavior I'm not so sure. (Well, that and the plastic flange).

    Regardless, I think I'm going to take the plunge - even if it does overlap my 17-85 a bit.

    Thanks for the frank discussion.

    -desertrefugee

    ReplyDelete
  6. regarding the rear lens cap. uh, i think you have to screw it? so that it fits tight? i also have this lens. :) the rear lens cap works just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thanks for the info. It's hard to find reviews for cheaper lenses (that most of us can afford). Nicely worded to

    ReplyDelete

Jen White