Saturday, August 25, 2007

This is Justin Russell

Ok, listen up, Gentle Viewers, I might as well tell you what I did because word will be getting out about it soon enough...

Justin is a local photographer who I...I....I'm so ashamed...I recognized from ...flickr. And..and...when I saw him, I went over and said something like "Dude, I've seen your photos." or something to that effect.

And he was like cool about it and stuff. I know. I said I'd NEVER do anything like that. Ever. But after meeting Kevin Bennett, you know, anything else is easy.

Gah! I just went to his flickr site to get the link for you and he GOT me. Sneaky bugger.

His blog and awakening as a member of the New Media.

And now I shall publicly give The Thing of the Moment's 10 tips on photographing people.

1. Hold everyone in mild contempt.
2. Expect to be told no. Resist the urge to say 'You don't say no to me, beyotch.'
3. Know that you can photograph anyone you want unless it violates 'a reasonable expectation of privacy.' and you are asking AS A COURTESY. (For non commercial use)
4. KNOW that some nitwit legal scholar like a security guard or off duty bar bouncer will tell you that you aren't allowed to photograph people. Deal with them knowing you can. I usually say 'Zat right?' while furiously clicking away.
5. Kids are great subjects and you can legally photograph them freely but WHY bring that down upon yourself. Do this as little as possible and never without permission.
6. Only try to take photos of people doing something that they would EXPECT someone to want to photograph. (Unless you are well hidden in the bushes.)
7. Take the a photo first, ask permission, then take another.
8. Try to have SOME sort of answer when they ask why. I find lying helps tremendously here.
9. Give them your card. They never use it. Trust me. And it impresses SPK.
10. Go to Judy's Pub in Bangor and ask the patrons smoking outside if you can take their photo. All other rejections after that will be easy.

4 comments:

  1. I warned you Jeff, WARNED YOU, about Flickr. And as I type this I see a massive Flickr badge on your site now. How the mighty have fallen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've been an awakened member of the New Media for years - heck, I majored in it at UMaine, for what that's worth.

    I just had an awakening as a member of THIS New Media.

    But good point nonetheless - and thanks for the tips. I might just skip #10, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS New Media?

    Is there another? :)

    Whenever I tell Rich Legg to slap people around with his L Series Glass and tell him he's the New Media I thought this was the ONLY New Media. Jeez..I hope he doesn't get into trouble now.

    No, he MUST know about the other New Medias.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's Quentin Tarantino. He has a photoblog?

    ReplyDelete

Jen White