Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Rick


Rick is retiring this year after almost 150 years in education.

He once gave me my most valuable tool for working with students.

I saw him working in a classroom ith some 'challenging' students and he had them completely engrossed with this competition thing. If they did well, he'd add points to a total on the board, if they did poorly or misbehave he'd take them away.

And these kids were INTO it! Each addition of points was met with a cheer or high five and the substraction of points seemed like a real physical wound.

After watching for this for a few minutes, I thought I wanted to use it with my own students and asked him what the points were redeemed for.

"I have no idea" He said, "They're just 'points'."
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to Rick! Sounds like a school will miss him. Mrs. Doohickie is a school teacher too, and I've heard her speak of similar methods. She had it easy though: She didn't start teaching until she was in her 40s. By then she had raised two boys into their teens. The kids in her classroom were dealing with a pro.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White