Monday, March 21, 2005

Portable Typewriter


Corona, of Smith Corona fame. When I learned to type it wasn't called 'keyboarding' it was called 'get typing and if you look at your fingers I'm going to smack your hands with a ruler.' When we banged our keys in frustration we didn't have little plastic caps go flying, we had entangled metal we had to reach up and sort out with out HANDS. It was a keyboard and printer in ONE. Cool, huh??? No one tried to sell you expensive Monster cables.

For you old bastards who used these, remember the erasers with the brushes on the end when you made ONE mistake on the LAST word of the page? Yeah, they did a great job. I could have saved time using a paper punch. And if you DID get your mistake erased, has ANYONE ever gotten the paper back in right?

I found this broken, WD-40 smelling, filthy, BEAUTFUL little beast at a sale by the side of the road for 5 bucks about 20 years ago. It's a little black portable that locks into its little suitcase. I remember buying the ribbon for it back when you could buy ribbons. But I think shortly after I purchased an early electric Brother WP-55 word processor for about 600 bucks that is now FAR more obsolete than this little broken typewriter.
Posted by Hello

2 comments:

  1. These are really great pictures. When I was 12, my grandfather gave me a typewritter for Christmas and said, "Start writing some stories." He died the next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hold onto this jewel, dude. Soon you'll be standing in a long line at the Antiques Road Show waiting to be told that your rare antique typewriter is worth $20,000 (or more)

    ReplyDelete

Jen White