Monday, July 31, 2006

The Thing of the Moment's Summer Hiatus

Ok, here is the deal...as many of you know. I take photos at the local fair. I know this is a shocking new revelation and I just thank God you were seated for it.

Anyway, actually being out of the house (which is is shocking to ME,) has kept me from being able to tend to The Thing of the Moment in the manner to which it has become accustomed. (OBSESSIVELY)

So, I'm taking a little break so I don't have to worry about it. And RELAX, the last time I did this I got a bunch of emails begging me to reconsider. That hiatus just lasted the afternoon until I thought of something else to post. This one may be shorter.

Until then...and if you are one of the invited Gentle Viewing carnies I've been passing out cards to inviting you to come see yourself, I once againt force feed down your funneled gullets to fatten your livers the following link...

http://thecarnies.blogspot.com

and the yummiest part besides all that corn? Some links bring you back to...

The Thing of the Moment.

See? Thomas Wolfe was wrong. You CAN go home again.

11 comments:

  1. Nice idea! Will try to take a look at your new blog if have time! Take care and enjoy your hiatus. Winnipeg is HOT! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Doodle - I'm gonna try and let you do your thing and not whine too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A break? A break? *snort* *REAL* photobloggers don't need no stinkin' breaks.

    Heh.

    see you in a few hours. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im going to have to check myself in from the withdrawl!....NO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT! STILL NO POST! YOU'RE GOOOOOD! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :) KISSY KISSY FROM WINNIPEGGY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I'm taking bets here. How long do you think he'll last?

    More importantaly, how long do you think we'll last?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I'll have to throw myself off a carpet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do whatever you please. I love the hell out of your blog but definitely understand a creative hiatus...

    -buzz

    ReplyDelete
  9. You mean you're not always "on"!!! Enjoy the haitus.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMIGOD, Jeff. I just looked through your entire Fair blog and cannot believe the amount of time and effort you put into that! I should have counted the number of pics you included. I can tell you this: I really got my education about how a fair/carnival is assembled. So much so that it scares the bejesus outta me about ever going again. All they have to do is forget ONE LOUSY PIECE and the ride could come apart, right? Probably not but I definitely cannot imagine making a living outta this--assemblying and disassembling how many times in a year? or a lifetime?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Checking in from the hiatus... :)

    GINNIE! No! That's the point. These rides are complex but what I have learned is that these people assembling them have done it so many times and are so thorough and even the slackest laziest carnie will bust his ass to make sure that his job is done right that it's really incredible to see. In fact, it was this assembling and tearing down of the rides that I initially wanted to see. It's funny because I found that the show was almost secondary in importance to what the carnies do. Basically fair week consists of pushing buttons, unlatching gates, dealing with fair goers who want undersized kids to be able to go on the rides. But the week before, when they turn a parking lot into a carnival, THAT is when they have their greatest sense of accomplishment. What I'm still not able to undertand however, after seeig this a couple of time is how something that takes a week to put up can come down in one night. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Jen White